Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Thank you Starlink - a thoughtful note and a realization

 

Thank you Starlink!  has 799 upvotes and counting on Reddit.

Starlink crew-- I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. On Dec. 7th my 80 year old mom was diagnosed with Covid and sent to the ER. She has languished in the hospital since that time, in isolation, with family not allowed to visit due to Covid restrictions. Because I live in a rural area with no internet other than a bad cell phone connection, getting in touch with her was near impossible. I just wanted to talk to my mom as much as I could, but because of the connection, it wasn't happening without a 30 mile trip to the nearest town. During severe weather that really was impossible because the roads would be closed and impassible and that happens often here. She would call me and beg me to stay on the phone with her, because she was alone and scared. The call would drop and I couldn't get her back on the line. It was heartbreaking. She went downhill in the last week and we were tearfully saying our goodbyes under these circumstances. Enter Starlink! As soon as I set up my beta kit -- BOOM -- I had download speeds of 150mg! I facetimed my mom right away. I stayed on the phone with her ALL DAY. She begged me not to leave her alone again and I was able to say OF COURSE I'll stay here with you! And now, as I sit here with my mom on the line again, all I can say to you is thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Thank you so much. What gift you have given my family. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.


 

I have to say I'm glad this family got the Better than Nothing Beta offer before myself.  I'm still waiting, but I can only imagine the relief for this family.  It shows how even rural broadband is so important to people's lives.

During the height of the Pandemic we had local trailer type (with WIFI connection) of thing that families could drive up to so their kids could attend school.  Ken recently got his first covid vaccine, and I saw the network name and password in the window of one location.  Once things started to open up?  Our schools did to, and no doubt because not everyone can work from home - or drive kids up to the local trailer for online schooling.  Yes, the virus is just as dangerous here as anywhere else.  Yet, we don't have the luxury of  'we don't want to die' signs from teachers here.  That's another reality for lack of broadband.  I'm sure many wish it were different, but it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment